Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Sunset Moon-rise: Mother Nature's change of guard.

The golden hour

I was on my evening walk in the park near my house, engrossed in surroundings around me, watching the sun done for the day and disappearing behind the Waianae mountain range.  

The lengthening shadows at sunset 


The leaves of this magnificent tree close at Sunset  

The lightened path at sunset 

The golden Honolulu skyline 
People at Sunset 

Catching up 

The Golden shower glowing in the last ray of sun


The fall 

The Golden glow of Honolulu skyline 

The Golden hour

The golden hour 

The Golden hour 
Fifty shades of everything

I was also busy trying to complete my share of walking and at the same time trying to capture the divine moments of sunset through my iPhone.


What happened next was nothing short of spectacular. As I was walking back to the car, the sun has almost touched the horizon leaving the sky in 50 shades of grey, yellow and orange.

But, on the other side of the park I spotted a gorgeous sight: the moon rising! The sun was still above the horizon and moon was also quite high. I could visualize the sun and the moon at the same time.
It is as if Mother Nature is displaying nightly change of guards and I was viewing “Sunset Moonrise.”

When we can see the sunset in the west, we are on a part of the Earth that was illuminated and is now rotating such that sunlight will not shine upon us anymore. When we see a moonrise in the east, it is because the Earth is rotating towards the moon enough that it has risen above the horizon.

So, to see the Sun and the moon at the same time, they both need to be on opposites sides of the Earth. And this happens on the day of Full Moon.

In two days, I have witnessed two impressive astronomical events. 


The Moon rise 

The Moon rise 

The Moon rise 

The Moon rise 

Catching fish at  Moon rise 

The peeping Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment